Several weeks ago, Maureen Bower of Eclectic Revisited recognized us with the Blog on Fire Award. Sally and I were stunned, thrilled and honored – especially considering the company we were in.
The recipient has two responsibilites. We’re supposed to tell 5 things about ourselves and pass the award along to 5 other bloggers. Sally has politely declined to speak, leaving it up to me to talk a little about myself. So here goes…
1. I love all things Italian and am a confessed motorhead. Of all the cars I have owned, my all time favorite was my 1979 Ferrari 308GTB, built as a street legal track car. (Yes, I used to race a Ferrari!) My favorite motorcycle? My old 1973 Moto Guzzi V7 Sport. Dream car? The list goes on and on, but I’d settle for a Cisitalia convertible. I know the coupe is in the Museum of Modern Arts’ collection, but I happen to like the feel of the sun on my face and wind in my hair.
2. I tie my own flies for trout and stripped bass fishing. In each fly I tie, I try to impart the illusion of life by how I tie the fly and how I blend the colors and materials I use. It took me years to learn that the secret ingredient is the water itself. A well tied fly comes to life as it moves and breathes in the water’s current. (It is on the water that I recharge my soul.) Some day, I’ll catch an Atlantic Salmon on a fly I’ve tied.
3. I’d love to learn the art of fine furniture making. To be able to use those beautiful hand tools and to bring a piece of wood to life would be heaven. (I’m sure those tools cost a fortune!!!) These days, I satisfy my yearnings by carving or turning fishing plugs on a lathe I have set up in the basement. Over the holiday break I completed my first small decorative turnings on the lathe.
4. I’m still a country boy at heart, growing up in the Finger Lakes region of New York State. If I could, I’d live on 40 acres of land with a house in the middle. Not sure where – maybe the rocky Maine coast, maybe somewhere in the Rocky Mountains.
5. Living in Europe is another dream I would love to fulfill – for a year, maybe two or three. The challenge is deciding where. I remember trying to get lost in the old town area of Verona and the breath taking beauty of Lake Como. (There’s that Italian thing again.) Believe it or not, I’ve never been to Paris, so France would be cool. (I can’t imagine being able to resist the Flea Markets…) But then, there’s the enchantment of the work of Axel Vervoordt and I could easily see myself settling in Belgium.
So there I am. I guess it turned into sort of a bucket/dream list. But you know, for me, it’s the dreams that keep us all going and I hope they never stop.
On to the second requirement of the Blog on Fire Award – passing the award along to 5 other deserving bloggers. The recipients are:
1. Belgian Pearls: Greet’s blog is an inspiration to me. It was her blog that made Sally and me rethink the format and content of our blog. Thank you, Greet!
2. Surroundings: Linda Merrill is a Boston interior designer who is one of interior design’s blogging pioneers. What she gives back to the local design community is quite remarkable. We are the better for it.
3. Jennings and Gates: I came across Nina’ blog only recently, but was immediately captivated by her class, style and at times very thought provoking posts. He recent post about entertaining and today’s culture was superb!
4. Streets of Salem: Donna is a fellow Salem resident who teaches history at Salem State College. She writes about the fascinating little things that make up the fabric of our daily lives, culture and history – things that I might otherwise never know or learn about. For that I am grateful.
5. Providence Design Ltd.: I love how Mona concludes each post, “It’s your turn. Let’s talk.” Her charm, warmth, enthusiasm and “candoitiveness” come through as clear as a bell. She helps me stay young at heart and to think anything is possible.
May everyone have a healthy, prosperous, memory and laughter filled 2012!